Here’s a classic example of the inanity that going on at the biennial General Assembly meeting of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The Committee on Theological Issues and Insitutions sent forward a paper on the Trinity with some, uh, interesting ideas. The paper was “received” instead of “approved.” Get a load of these proposed alternative names for the Trinity:
- Rainbow, Ark and Dove
- Speaker, Word and Breath
- Overflowing Font, Living Water and Flowing River
- Compassionate Mother, Beloved Child and Life-Giving Womb
- Sun, Light and Burning Ray
- Giver, Gift and Giving
- Lover, Beloved and Love
- Rock, Cornerstone and Temple
- Fire that Consumes, Sword that Divides and Storm that Melts Mountains
- The One Who Was, the One Who Is and the One who is to Come
(Go ahead - pick your favorite.)
I’m glad these folks are considering the serious theological issues that the church needs to address today.
Needless to say, a PC (USA) church is not likely a part of our future when we move to the DC area.